Friday, April 4, 2008

Kim Jong Il reads our blog.

Um ... I think North Korea just attacked our blog.

I logged on to see if anyone had commented on my Korea post, and I saw that two people had, so I clicked on the link to read them. One was from my sister, some nonsense about her being the hotter Williams.

The second post was from someone named "guhn" with a message that read "click please here" and the "here" was a link. I have a program on my computer that allows me to view a link without really opening it, so I thought I might be safe to click without clicking — a stupid behavior, but so few viruses target Mac's that I have become ... overconfident. Anyway, I used that function, and as soon as I moved my cursor over the link, it shut my Firefox browser down and a message popped up at the bottom of my screen that tried to entice me to click another link that would "scan" my computer for viruses. I force-quit my browser and reopened it, and as far as I can tell nothing is amiss with my computer. I have deleted the post from "guhn" — but not before checking out "his" profile, which indicates that his Blogger account was activated in April 2008, and so far this month he has viewed 248 blogs. Also, according to some very cursory research I just did, Guhn is a Korean surname.

This was totally some North Korean information processor scanning the web for talk about the north. And he totally dropped some virus bomb on our wedding blog as punishment for my characterization of North Korea in my last post.

Do not click on any links posted on this blog by anyone you don't know.

Jason

PS: This entry itself was hit by two similar attempts to transfer a virus through a link on April 6 and April 9. Again, the links were posted by users with accounts that had been created in April 2008 and that had viewed 156 and 207 blogs, respectively. While the posts' broken English mimicked the original, they had shed the Korean user-names for gibberish. As with the first post, I have removed the entries.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha! I totally clicked on the link that said "read please here" or whatever and I saw the virus scanner thing pop up and I just exited out of everything too! Anyways, funny. Oh, and yeah. . . I am the hotter Williams sibling : )

Unknown said...

Wow...crazy.
I thought it was odd when Kim Jong Il came to my house and asked me to stop posting info about his country and kicked my cat. But your virus story is good too....
Also, if we're each allowed to vote, I'm picking Chris as the hottest Williams. However, my grandma casts a vote for Jason. When we loked through the slide show she just kept on saying, "Oh, he's so cute."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Who is this cpj? They obviously haven't met me if they're casting their hot vote for Chris. . . ; )

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.